Emory University Office of Surgical Education Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, Georgia
Provides administrative support for one of the following (or a combination): general management, a research environment or a specific program. Ensures office activities comply with Emory policies and procedures.
Responds to incoming telephone calls.
Maintains calendars and prioritizes meeting requests for management.
Reviews incoming correspondence and identifies items of special interest to management; handles routine correspondence and prepares appropriate responses.
May complete forms, grant applications, and/or correspondence associated with programs.
Prepares charts and graphs for reports and presentations.
Creates and edits scientific, programmatic or other reports associated with department's primary business.
Schedules meetings and handles logistics for meetings and special events.
Prepares materials for meetings and special events.
Initiates, processes, and maintains records and invoices.
Keeps management apprised of account status, identifies cost-effective solutions and may authorize expenditures.
May monitor or maintain budgets and grants, assist with budget development, and prepare related expense reports and reimbursements.
Plans and coordinates travel arrangements.
Maintains databases and spreadsheets; may also analyze data and design/generate associated reports.
Establishes and organizes filing systems.
Oversees ordering and maintenance of office supplies.
May supervise or direct the work of support staff and/or students.
Performs related responsibilities as required.
A high school diploma or equivalent and five years of clerical or secretarial experience, or a bachelor's degree. Proficiency with various personal computer software applications.
Positions in this classification may require keyboarding skills.
The incumbent will be essential to the smooth operations of the Office and will be an integral member of the administrative team. Reporting to the Associate Director of Education, Department of Surgery, the Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support for the office, including staff and faculty needs (Residency Program Director, Director of Medical Student Education, additional faculty and staff team of the Office of Surgical Education and Center for Surgical Anatomy and Technique).
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide administrative support to the Office of Surgical Education (consisting of faculty, staff in UME, GME and educational research
programs, including residents).
• Collect and sort mail daily, distribute among the staff, faculty and residents and forward mail to research residents
• Receive and interact with incoming visitors at the front desk as needed
• Manage Outlook calendar for education suite rooms (classroom, conference room, library)
• Perform photocopying, faxing and filing as requested
• Order office supplies and breakroom supplies
• Triage calls related to and surgical education matters
• Set up/tear down and maintain cleanliness and organization of suite rooms as needed
• Provide basic A/V support to users of the classrooms and other suite rooms
• File expense reports for faculty, staff and residents
• Manage calendars for regular office-supported events (e.g., Surgical Grand Rounds, lecture series, etc.)
• Arrange travel for guest speakers
• Coordinate catering and arrangements for meetings (e.g., M&M, and Wednesday Afternoon Research Conference) and select office events
• Prepare correspondence for office faculty (e.g., thank you letters)
• Assist with residency recruitment events (preparing candidate materials, etc.)
• Provide onsite assistance for interview days, intern orientation and other events
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Minimum experience: 1 - 2 years of administrative assistance and/or program coordination experience in an academic or healthcare setting
DESIRED SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Knowledge of general office procedures, policies and equipment with some understanding of graduate medical education procedures
Demonstrated skills in calendar and meeting management, clerical detail and effective coordination of assigned work activities
Able to perform work accurately, including data entry and activity tracking
Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Outlook is required; knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint is strongly preferred
Ability to anticipate and solve problems proactively and effectively; strong customer service orientation
Superb time management skills with the capability to prioritize among multiple requests from multiple individuals and the ability to change direction in response to a fluctuating work environment
Excellent multitasking skills as well as the ability to work in an environment that reflects diverse work styles and perspectives
Exceptional attention to detail
Communication skills: excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to represent the Department and Office of Surgical Education with the utmost professionalism and ability to build strong relationships inside and outside of the team; solid ability to work successfully in a team environment
Maintain utmost confidentiality with sensitive and personal information; uphold the highest level of integrity and professionalism
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply?
Job Number 32710
Job Type Regular Full-Time
Division School Of Medicine
Department SOM: Surgery: General
This position may involve the following Health and Safety issues: Not Applicable
Job Category Clerical & Administrative
Emory University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all applicable Federal and Georgia State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action in its programs and activities. Emory University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and veteran's status. Inquiries about this statement should be directed to the Office of Equity and Inclusion, 201 Dowman Drive, Administration Bldg, Atlanta, GA 30322